There are times you feel so very stupid because you can’t do a simple thing… like for example making work a .gitignore file. I don’t know how much time I had spent looking into the guts of git commands before I realised what I’ve done. As you know you can’t really create .gitignore from Windows (or I don’t know how to do it). Every time I need this file, I copied it from another place, another project. This time I had a brilliant idea of creating it from the command line like this :
echo “packages/” > .gitignore
Well, that’s the problem. The file doesn’t work because it’s not encoded with UTF-8. So you have to encode and save it and everything works as expected.